Should you allow your tenants to keep a pet at your investment property? Everyone has a different opinion on this topic. Here are some tips on what to consider before accepting a pet in your rental property:
Your property manager should have a section on their tenancy application form for a tenant to declare the details of their pet. The number, type and breed of animal(s) will often play a role in whether you can approve the tenant’s pet. For example, you might be very happy to allow your tenant to keep a budgie in a cage, but not four bull mastiff dogs. So, the tenancy application is a good place to start and help you decide whether you want to consider the pet further.
If, after seeing the pet application, you’re considering approving the pet, get your property manager to investigate:
- If your investment property is a unit/townhouse, whether the by-laws will allow pets in the complex.
- Whether the pet has been living at the tenant’s current rental property.
- What the tenant’s rental reference is like, with particular attention to how the property was presented and cared for in the areas the pet lived.
- If the pet is appropriately de-sexed and registered with local council (make sure to request to view the certificates to prove this).
- Photos or videos of the pet to show that it does look like the breed described in the application form.
- Photos or video of the house and yard that the pet has been living in.
If you’re satisfied with the information you’ve received, then make sure your property manager refers to the conditions that the tenant is allowed to keep the pet under within the tenancy agreement, so that you and your investment property are adequately protected.
What have been your experiences with either allowing pets in your investment property or renting a property with your pets? We’d love to hear from you via our facebook page or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Active Agents are Hervey Bay Real Estate Agents who specialise in Property Management. For current available properties for rent in Hervey Bay click here. To learn more about our Hervey Bay Property Managers, click here.